2021 – Ultra X & ULTRA X Lite
17th April – RACE DAY
The new ULTRA X and ULTRA X lite is a 1 day multi-stage challenge from the Freestate to KwaZulu Natal.
This high-altitude multisport event will challenge athletes while competing in the most beautiful areas of Southern Africa. The challenge takes athletes on a journey from the highlands of the impressive Freestate province down the Oliviershoek Pass in the Northern Berg into the heart of one SA’s World Heritage sites, the Central Drakensberg.
This event is fully inclusive, where athletes will be presented with 1 day of high-endurance racing, 2 nights full board accommodation, loaded goodie bags with awesome race apparel as well as fully stoked water tables and feeding stations along the race routes.
There are two difference races to enter and both can be done in teams of 2.
ULTRA X : 3.2km Swim / 6km Run / 152km Cycle / 17km Run
ULTRA X lite: 1.6km Swim / 3km Run / 110km Cycle / 10km Run
The Swim takes place in the crystal clear Sterkfontein Dam, which is the highest event swim in South Africa. Then the athletes take on the long 23km downhill descent from the Freestate down Oliviershoek pass to KZN. Here the athletes then follow their courses, which will lead them to the beautiful Champagne Sports Resort. The Run section starts and finishes at the resort, with the run courses using a mixture of dirt district roads and jeep tracks around the beautiful Champagne Valley.
Athletes and families will be looked after by the award winning staff at Champagne Sports Resort. On Arrival on Friday, athletes will register and have a comprehensive briefing for the day ahead (Saturday), followed by dinner. Early on Saturday the athletes will be shuttled with their equipment up to the start at Sterkfontein dam. A short briefing will take place, before the athletes take on the ULTRA X.
Saturday evening will consist of sharing war stories, and banter in the pub followed by an awards evening and dinner. Sunday will see athletes and families depart at leisure.
The event is exclusively limited to only 100 competitors for our second year, giving each athlete a personal and intimate connection with this exclusive event.
10 REASONS TO DO THE ULTRA X:
- It’s a LIMITED entry event, exclusive to 100 Competitors and their families.
- Spectator friendly race routes and venues (Spectators can follow and second on the actual race route)
- The Only event of it kind in a World Heritage Site and spanning the Freestate & KZN provinces
- BIGGEST and FASTEST cycling descent of 23km down the Oliviershoek Pass
- Only Multi-sport event to take part in the crystal-clear waters of Sterkfontein Dam
- Highest long-distance swim in South Africa (1708m above sea level)
- Experience the award-winning hospitality of the Champagne Sports Resort staff
- Access to the 31st Best Golf Course in South Africa
- The perfect race that is completely inclusive of the family.
- YOUR BUCKET LIST Race for 2021.